The Information Center (IC) is a two-story center that houses both print and online materials including books, videos, databases, and periodicals for students. Digital resources allow students and educators the support necessary to augment the standards-based learning curriculum. These relaxing and inviting areas are bright and colorful, offering spacious seating areas where students can enjoy reading and technology.
The Information Center provides a stimulating learning environment that supports the American United School vision and aims to promote an information empowered and literature enriched school community of independent, lifelong learners.
The purpose of the Information Center for the middle school program is to:
- •support, enrich and implement the middle school's curriculum by collaborating with teachers to plan, produce and teach curriculum units which help students develop independent learning skills,
- •teach students research skills needed to support informational writing across the curriculum,
- •provide access to a wealth of resources, (i.e. print and e-books, journals, dictionaries, thesauri, and encyclopaedias, databases, conference papers, etc.)
- •nurture, inspire and stimulate the vital importance of reading for pleasure and information,
- •manage an extensive and relevant collection of curriculum resources to support the learning, co-curricular and recreational reading needs of the school community, and
- •provide a welcoming, flexible learning environment for the school community in which students can learn individually, in small groups and within a whole class.